Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2019 13:21:24 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
To:        pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrade vs upgrade -f

Hi,

I'm going through the final tech edits on the jails book, and an early
reader raised a pkg question. I want to be sure to give good advice.

After an upgrade between releases we need to run pkg upgrade -fy.  Is
there any advantage to running the upgrade and then a separate
force-upgrading, as in:

# pkg -j ldap1 upgrade -y && pkg -j ldap1 upgrade -fy

My reader reports that they've had SAT solver problems and packages
removed when running plain "pkg upgrade -fy" between versions.

Just trying to sort out edge cases vs old problems vs serious issues.

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	https://mwl.io/
author of: Absolute OpenBSD, SSH Mastery, git commit murder,