Date:      Tue, 28 May 2019 22:07:17 -0400
From:      Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 12.0-RELEASE-p4 i386/PAE kernel spins

Hi,

I'm attaching to this thread as I think my problem started happening after the SA updates.

I saw 3 suspicious spins with i386/PAE kernel since I updated on May 15th/16th.

I boot FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASES i386/PAE once per a day and shutdown each time and use BSD everyday.  I start with console and decide whether I want to use X or not and if so, I run startx.

In the past, startx didn't come up twice in 30 seconds or so and console wasn't responding.  Both times, I wasn't able to monitor system and gave up - hard reset.

I had another and similar symptom.  This time, I had ran X for a while.  I started moving about 2 of 100MB files from tmpfs to zfs, I started seeing system lagging and also high CPU usage by kernel and syncer by top.  Ctrl-T on mv printed "runnable" and "running" a lot while "systat -vm" wasn't showing any IO activities.  After a minute or longer, system came back to normal.

I haven't run non-PAE kernel as much, once or twice since the SA.  I don't know if this issue is PAE kernel only.  I definitely hadn't seen before the SA.

Hiro