Date:      Wed, 6 May 2020 09:21:31 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Brother HL-L2340D printer and lpd?

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

Polytropon wrote:

[dd]

> > >=20
> > > Yes, gs expects PS as its input. For programs that print
> > > (except here: Firefox), PS is the default output anyway.
> > > But if you have ASCII text, you need to turn it into PS.
> > >=20
> > > The easiest way to do this is the port "a2ps" (ASCII to
> >=20
> > a2ps from packages is broken:
> >=20
> > $ a2ps /etc/rc.conf
> > a2ps: unknown medium `libpaper'
>=20
> Install "libpaper" package and manually set a symlink in
> /usr/local/etc: papersize -> papersize.a4 for standard ISO A4
> paper, or papersize -> papersize.letter for US letter.

The package is installed and the files are present:

$ pkg info -o libpaper
libpaper-1.1.24.4              print/libpaper
$ file /usr/local/etc/papersize.*
/usr/local/etc/papersize.a4:     ASCII text
/usr/local/etc/papersize.letter: ASCII text

This does not work. And I really think if a2ps does not have
UTF-8/Cyrillic support, there is not much sense for me to try and fix
it.

[dd]

> > > Personally, I use "encript" for turning ASCII reports
> >=20
> > enscript is good, but it has huge problems with Cyrillic, and is totally
> > lacking multibyte support (UTF-8).
>=20
> Correct. That's why I had to use it with ISO-8859-1 standard
> western europe character set (single byte per symbol) in order
> to get Umlauts displayed correctly. Maybe another processing
> step ("recode utf-8..koi8 <file>") can be used in the printer
> filter.

Too much info (too many glyphs) are lost this way. I'm already used to
non-koi8-compatible characters in my texts, even when they are plain
texts.

[dd]

> >=20
> > Oh! I wish I knew how to add something to Firefox's print dialog!=20
> > Do you?
>=20
> If you define several printers in /etc/printcap (and not
> forget to run cap_mkdb), a system running lpr should have
> the available printers listed in Firefox's print dialog.
> Unless, of course, Firefox is hard-wired with CUPS, and
> no CUPS - no printer selection.

Looks like it's hardwired with GTK, and GTK is hardwired with
something else, and nobody knows any more how it all works.

>=20
> Another idea might be to use the variable $PRINTER to name
> the printer before starting Firefox.=20

Does not help either.=20

I've also tried tinkering with print.printer_list in about:config to no
avail.

>=20
> Currently I don't have access to a system that has both
> Firefox and lpr installed so I cannot verify this suggestion.

Anyone any ideas please?

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/