Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2021 14:12:49 +1000
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 13.0 Upgrade Gotcha document?

On 2021-04-17 10:00:53, Graham Perrin (grahamperrin@gmail.com) wrote:

> > > *) Make sure to re-install your boot loader before you
> > >    `zpool upgrade zroot` to not break bootloader.
> > I believe "zpool upgrade" previously warned the admin to run
> > "gpart bootcode" to install the most recent bootcode for a ZFS
> > boot pool, but in 13.0 that warning is gone.

> <https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=gpart&sektion=8&format=html>;
> utility. Instead,…

That section of the release notes is a bit misleading. ESP is short for
"EFI System Partition" and this section of the 13.0 release notes only
applies to systems booting with EFI.

For older (vintage?) systems like mine that continue to use MBR, evidently
the command "gpart bootcode" is still correct. I used it in 13.0 after
upgrading my zroot pool on two different machines.