Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:42:29 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        mike <g434g434@yahoo.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FRUSTRADED! Shoot me?

> (date) init: can't exec '/usr/libexec/getty' for port
> /dev/ttyv0 to /dev/ttyv7. No such file or directory.

Which comes from this part of init(8):

                argv[0] = "sh";
                argv[1] = _PATH_RUNCOM;
                argv[2] = runcom_mode == AUTOBOOT ? "autoboot" : 0;
                argv[3] = 0;
                sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, &sa.sa_mask, (sigset_t *) 0);
                setprocresources(RESOURCE_RC);
                execv(_PATH_BSHELL, argv);
		stall("can't exec %s for %s: %m", _PATH_BSHELL, _PATH_RUNCOM);

Since you're already a source stud (anyone who's not is supposed to do
binary upgrades :), you may want to investigate all the variables
represented in the code above.  Is /bin/sh properly executable?  Is
/etc/login.conf messed up in any way that would cause the
setprocresources() call to do bad things to the subsequent execv()?
Does adding any additional debugging to this section of init yield any
clues?  Good luck debugging this one - I've never seen it so it must
be something unique about your configuration there.

- Jordan