Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:27:59 -0500
From:      Rick Bischoff <bischoff@rickjr.org>
To:        stable-digest <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Lockups

Hello all,

  I am running a dual AMD Tyan S2462 Thunder K7 motherboard with
   dual AMD 1700 XP+ (the 1.4 GHz version) with 512 MB ECC RAM, and
   two western digital 40GB and 30GB hard drives.

 Anyways, I can install FreeBSD (4.3 Release) just fine.
 I can cvsup the entire source tree.  I can't compile squat.

 What happens.. Get's half hour into compiling world, or half way into
 building a new kernel and the entire system hard locks.  Same thing
 happens with SuSE Linux 7.3.  System works fine in Windows 2K.

 This is with a minimal install, so I am not using my graphics or
 sound system at all! Any ideas? I'm beginning to think its the BIOS
 MP setting (it's at the 1.4 MP spec)-- would changing it to 1.1
 Compatibility mode help??

--
Best regards,
 Rick                            mailto:bischoff@rickjr.org