Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:28:48 -0400
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
Cc:        User Freebsd <freebsd@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

> How many out there are *still* running 4.x on their servers and desktops, for similar fears?

We still have some old Compaq ML530 machines running FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p17.
They provide essential web services, mainly authentication and MySQL databases.

FreeBSD 5.x and 6.0 can't boot on this hardware because of ACPI
related problems. I recently gave 6.1 a try and it works. The ACPI
error is still there, but the system can bypass this problem and it
runs fine. But since the services that the 4.x boxes provide are
critical, I'm still not comfortable to switch them to 6.1.

So for security reasons (4.x is getting old...) I've isolated the 4.x
machines in their own DMZ. I'll wait for new hardware to replace these
machines instead of upgrading them to another version of FreeBSD.

David

--
David Robillard
UNIX systems administrator & Oracle DBA