Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2018 15:09:25 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Conflicts due to renamed KDE4 ports

On 14/04/2018 12:18, Stefan Esser wrote:
> [cut]
>
> This is another case (after the implementation of FLAVOR support that does
> not seem well-designed and causes lots of effort and inefficiencies in port
> management tools like portmaster), which makes me consider giving up my
> efforts to keep portmaster alive.
>
> STefan

This caused some headache on my system too even though I use poudriere
to build packages and I don't use the whole kde suite, just some
applications. I had to manually uninstall all old kde ports and
re-install them again adding the kde4 suffix. Are you saying I will need
to do that again when I want to switch to kde5?

I haven't seen any consultation being posted on this forum if/when/how
the introduction of kde5 should be handled. I imagine it's not the first
time such a massive upgrade of version has had happened in FreeBSD
ports. Is it how it's usually handled?

Also, wouldn't in this case converting kde to flavours, i.e.
kde-base@kde4 and kde-base@kde5 be a better approach?

GrzegorzJ