Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:10:07 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-packages seem to be out of date.

> I didn't know you are putting up packages on snap CDs.  Please don't
> pull CDs off the ftp site without asking me first.  There are lots of
> "don't sell for profit" kind of stuff up there, haven't I told you so
> many times?

The syncronization between myself and the ports/packages team has
gotten harder with each progressive release and I've complained to
you before about the difficulties and confusion in syncronization.

For the next release, it's going to be one of the 3 following choices
for me:

1. I take over the building of packages myself so that I have more control
   over when/where/how the packages are built.

2. This system of building packages is automated in a similar fashion
   to the current.freebsd.org server so that some FTP site can simply
   be mirrored by anyone wishing to build a CD (and as I'm not the only
   person building CDs, this would probably be the most general solution).

3. We stop distributing packages and distfiles on CD, doing just the
   ports collection and letting folks use the net to grab packages
   or distfiles.

The current system is no longer workable, I'm no longer willing to do
things "the old way" - it's going to be one of these 3 options for 3.0
/ 2.2.6.

					Jordan