Date:      Thu, 1 May 2008 07:33:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      chris@chrismaness.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compile Error

> Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com> writes:
>
>> I was trying to compile a 7.0 Release and the compile failed.  I have
>> never had a kernel compilation fail before.
>>
>> Here is the last of the output:
>>
>> opt_global.h -fno-common -finline-limit=8000 --param
>> inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000
>> -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -mno-mmx bla bla bla
>
> That's really weird.  Is that an unchanged GENERIC kernel, with an
> empty make.conf?  If so, youseem to have something inconsistent in
> your sources.  How did you install the sources?  Can you wipe them
> clean and try again?
>
> --
> Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area
> 		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

Thanks for responding.  I used CVSUP to update the source.  This system is
actually a restore from another server that I dumped from.  The original
server worked just fine (I tried it as an experiment).  This is the only
issue I have seen on the restored server so far.  I just did a binary
upgrade and am now rebuilding all of the ports from scratch.  I will do as
you suggested when that is done (rm -rf /usr/src/) and start from scratch.
 I thought the fact that the compile failed was really strange.  I have
never seen that before.

Chris Maness