Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 12:38:51 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        Amos Shapira <amoss@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> Eh??  Sorry to hear that.  A major part of my interest in FreeBSD over
> Linux (besides getting back to good old 4.2BSD/4.3Tahoe days :) is
> that I though it is a tiger in networking.

Tiger?  Well, it's certainly more ROBUST in many respects, but it's
also extremely unfair to compare a PC with hardware limitations
apleanty and many dozens of layers of software for a packet to go
through to a silicon switch engine which has been designed to do ONE
thing, and that's route packets.

That said, if you're interested in profiling the code and putting some
work into making it faster, you're more than welcome!  This is a
volunteer project, after all, and volunteers like yourself get the
responsibility for solving problems like this in exchange for getting
it all for free.  It's a two way street, you know!

> Will NetBSD fair better?  Is there any work being done on this?

1.  I seriously doubt it.

2.  Not that I know of.

						Jordan