Date:      Sat, 8 May 2010 03:05:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      subgeometer <biggerbumme@yahoo.co.in>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem network devices Acer Extensa 5635G

I have a very similar problem with Acer Extensa 5635z on which I installed
freebsd-8.0

>I see only loop deveice
I also only see lo0, but the error mesages are slightly different

the following text appears in dmesg output(transcribed from notepaper at
Internet cafe)

ath0: <Atheros 9280> irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci7
atho: 0x10000 bytes of rid 0x10 res 3 failed (0, 0xffffffffffffffff)
ath0: cannot map register space
device_attach: ath0 returned 6
alc0: <Atheros AR8131 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci9
alc0: 0x40000 bytes of rid 0x10 res 3 failed (0, 0xffffffffffffffff)
alc0: cannot map memory resources
device_attach: ac0 attach returned 6

Using pciconf -lv the drivers are shown bound to the devices(although the
SMBus device and the 'high definition audio device' each had no driver -
none0 and none1)

I saw the inference elsewhere that this was related to the wlan system,
where an Atheros wireless network card worked with freeBSD-6.x and not with
8.0. The network cards also don't work in linux-ubuntu9.?(04 or 10 I can't
remember) with this machine.

I also noticed when attempting to recompile the kernel with all the ath_*
options switched on that there are conflicting structure definitions with
the ath_rate_* devices - but perhaps this is intentional, I don't know.
Which is as far as I got as my install cd turned to cactus as I attempted to
reinstall with a larger root partition, to fit the compiled kernel.

When I reinstall I can supply further information as required

Thankyou