Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 15:59:15 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Ed Hudson <elh@p5.spnet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org

> 	a while ago i encountered an 'application almost bug' wherein
> 	sbrk(1) returns (old_mem+1).  Some other unix's
> 	(e.g., SunOS) return a double word aliged value.

[Not familiar with the vagaries of either sbrk() on FreeBSD or SunOS, it
 being a long time since I've had to worry about such things!]

So you're saying that in either case you get an extra byte of storage,
but in SunOS's case it pads the allocation out to the next doubleword
boundry and hands you a suitably aligned pointer?

Hmmmmmm.  I can't think of anything that would _break_ under the BSD
model, can anyone else?  If not, I see nothing wrong with Ed's argument..

					Jordan