Date:      Sun, 28 May 1995 21:08:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems when adding a 3rd SCSI drive

I decided to try putting in a spare SCSI disk drive I had laying
around into my system, and I'm having nothing but problems.  I don't
think that all of the problems are FreeBSD's fault, since I'm having
problems under DOS, too.

Current hardware installed:

Adaptec 2842VL SCSI controller  ID 7
Seagate ST1230N disk drive ID 0
Seagate ST31230N disk drive ID 1
Archive 2150S tape drive ID 2
Rodime 3085S disk drive  ID 5 <---- this is the drive I'm trying to add

FreeBSD system is -current as of 5/25.

I know that the Rodime drive is good and works with FreeBSD, since
I had previously used it under FreeBSD before I got the ST31320
drive (about 2.5 months ago).  Never had any problems then.   I can
also run the "verify media" option from the SCSIselect stuff on the
Adaptec card.

I was able to get the drive formatted under DOS by setting the
Adaptec SCSIselect option to make the BIOS recoginize more than
two hard drives.  Subsequent reboots would sometimes hang up.

When things are hung up either under DOS or FreeBSD the LED on the
controller is on rock solid, and the LED on the Rodime drive is also on
rock solid.  None of the other drive lights are lit up.  Windows also won't
start, and running something like "msd" under dos will usually lock it up
when it scans the hard disks.

I have to turn off the Adaptec BIOS option that allows more then 2 hard
disk to even have a chance of getting FreeBSD booted (I kinda expected
that).  FreeBSD usually locks up the same way while trying to
mount the root device.  Sometimes it gets a little past that,
but not much (I've *almost* made it into single user mode a couple of
times).  If it gets that far (mounting root, going into single user
mode), when it does lock up, the AHC driver starts complaining about
scsi device timeouts.   About 50% of the time it hangs reading the kernel
off the drive on sd0.

With this drive installed, the Rodime drive has the terminators
installed, and it is the last drive on the SCSI chain.  I did remember
to remove the terminators from the drive that previously was the last
drive on the chain.  When this drive was previously in my system, it was
the last drive on the chain, so the terminators were never removed from the
drive.

I've pulled the cables out a couple of times and reconnected
everything without any luck.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?  I would suspect
the aic7xxx driver, except for the fact that I see the same
problem under DOS.

Does the SCSI id have to be < the SCSI id of the tape drive for
some reason?

I really don't care if the drive ever works under DOS, just
under FreeBSD, but I unless I can get it working right under
DOS, I doubt that I have a chance to get it working under FreeBSD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: this mail address will be going away on Jun 1st,
and I'm still not sure what my new one will be.  If you
are trying to reply to me after that date, you can
mail me at mpp@freefall.cdrom.com to make sure that I get
the message.
--
Mike Pritchard