Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:02:00 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
To:        alex@comsys.com, Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@virginia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chroot

At 01:00 PM 1/29/98 -0800, alex@comsys.com wrote:
>Adrian,
>
>I'm sorry, "to the man with a hammer everything appears a nail."
>
>My solution does not address your telnet problem. We recently
>fixed a chroot problem with ftp, and not telnet. My mistake.
>
>We never allow any telnet access to our system for the
>general customer, so the telnet part of your message didn't register.
>
>There was an 'rsh' or restricted shell a while back... I don't
>see it on our recent systems though. Trial and error using
>.profile, .login, .cshrc, or globals for csh shell,
>/etc/csh.cshrc /etc/.csh.login might help.

I might be wrong, but didn't someone say this could be done with telnet as well?

It would require files to be copied under the chroot in a structure similiar to the system.  Mail would be a problem, if it resided on the same system.

Certainly a desirable thing to do for shell users and would save time chmod'ing files and directories.

Time to dig back now...

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
mountin.man@mixcom.com