Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 01:57:43 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <net/if_var.h>

At 03:53 PM 1/30/97 -0800, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>>> When was this introduced, and is there any way for me to check if it is
>>> present?  (BSD > xxxx, for instance?)
>>
>> #include <osreldate.h>
>>
>> #if __FreeBSD_version >= 199702
>> # define NEED_NET_IF_VAR_H
>> #endif
>>
>> That catches some -current systems before the change, but that
>> shouldn't matter.  It doesn't hit 2.2 machines, since they are frozen
>> to 199701 (even though it's obvious that we won't ship 2.2R by
>> January).
>
>Except this will break when 2.2.5 is released (unless if_var.h is
>merged into the -2.2 branch, but you get the point). :(

Should I add something like

.if exists(/usr/bin/net/if_var.h)
CFLAGS+= HAS_NET_IF_VAR_H
.endif

to the Makefile in addition, perhaps?  As long as I haven't got a "proper"
solution this is the best I can see.  (This could be a loop over the
include-path instead of a direct test, but I cannot see this gaining much
on anything but very obscure systems.)

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/