Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:41:25 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        "Brooks, Reginald P." <BrooksRP@PWCPEARL.NAVY.MIL>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

At 07:03 PM 8/12/99 -1000, Brooks, Reginald P. wrote:
>I have been hearing a little about FreeBSD so I decided to give it try. I
>visited your home page and tried to figure out how to download the OS. Your
>instructions lead from ftp to ftp with list upon list of files to download
>but I could not identify any file that appeared to actually contain the
>basic OS or kernal.
>
>For example.  If I am on the following page,
>ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable
>which file or files would I download and install to provide the basic OS?
>Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you
>Reggie

I agree with previous posts saying that you might want to consider CD's.  I
used FreeBSD for 2 years without ever touching a CD, but I think I would
have picked up on it quite a bit faster if I'd had the CD's and
_The_Complete_FreeBSD_.  However, if you _do_ want to download via FTP (the
truly free way):

You'll want to look at http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ26.html and
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x620.html. Basically, you just need /bin
to get a system running, but you'll probably want to look into downloading
/manpages, /compat* (for compatability with other versions of FreeBSD), some
of the /src files (syss* to be specific) so you can make a custom kernel,
/ports
so you can use the great ports system for intalling programs, and /floppies
so you can make the boot floppies.

Good luck!

-Charon