Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:53:49 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hooking 2 Networks

I have two separate connections to the Internet with static IPs and two
separate networks. Each network has an internal FBSD Gateway/NAT/caching
DNS connected to the backbone & each have a separate LAN subnet
(192.168.0.x on one and 10.0.0.x on another). The default router for each
LAN is its internal Gateway machine, so they know which GW to use to get
out to the Net. Each also operates web & mail servers. Each have their own
switches from the Gateway machine cabled to the servers/workstations.

I would like to hook the two networks together via the switches & I assUme
I do this by running a cable from the one switch to the uplink on the
other....??? Is my assumption correct?

I would like to have all machines have direct & fast access via the
internal NW cables for NFS access.

As simple as this sounds, I have not found anything anywhere about hooking
2 networks together and if there is any problems. Guess I could just hook
up and try it, but rather double-check with some one who has a similar
setup -- or point me to a URL (I've googled, visited the networking and
router sites - none talk about directly hooking 2 NWs).

Appreciate any replies..... thanks!

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator