Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 1996 15:49:51 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help! Permission denied for logins.

Gary Palmer wrote:

> Gary Chrysler wrote in message ID
> <31DD5032.AF8@ime.net>:
> >
> > Ok what I fudgeup?
> > The only user that can login is root.
> > Everybody else gets:
> >        csh: Permission denied: Permission denied
> >        csh: Trying to start from "/home/<user>"
> >        csh: Trying to start from "/"
> >        %
>
> At a guess: the permissions of `/' have been changed? They need to be
> rwxr-xr-x (i.e. 755). It's either `/' or the /usr/home directory I
> bet.

Yes, Thanks Gary.. Thats exactly what it was.
The ~/.files were 644 versus 755.

It didn't dawn on me untill you said that, that they are scripts
needing executable permissions.

I changed them to 755, Anything wrong with 700?

PS: I added in my original question so it would make it to the
archive in tact, for the next person. (It's not currently there)

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848