Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 96 11:48:00 PDT
From:      Robert Clark <ROBERTC@PII.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        " Robert Clark via Pii.com" <robert.clark@mailhost.PII.COM>
Subject:   NAT, Web Proxies, SOCKS, etc??

     Scenario:

     The way it is now:

     We have one Class C segment that can reach the internet through the
firewall.
     On this class C, sits a FreeBSD 2.0.5 system, running CERN httpd as a
cached proxy.
     Other class C segments, from the group reserved for stations not
connected to the Internet, use this proxy to browse the web.
     (Clients are WFW3.11, W95, and dos.)
     It works well, and takes almost no maintenance.

     Problems:

     Users can browse, but they can't telnet, ftp (non-anonymously), or read
news.

     Questions:

     What can I use with FreeBSD to enable users to FTP, telnet and the
like?

     SOCKS? (what and how?)

     NAT? (what and how?)

     OTHER?