Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:07:42 +0000
From:      Pbl <fritz!pbl@dorotech.fr>
To:        pzwf0@wwscso.amdahl.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ypclient talking to sun nis slave?

pzwf0@wwscso.amdahl.com wrote:

> I have been trying to get my bsd 2.2-beta system to act as a yp client to a
> ypserver running on solaris 2.5.1
>
> I have updated the passwd file (using vipw) and added the +::::::: entry,
> also the +::: in /etc/group. Also changed /etc/host.conf to use nis.
>
> I start ypbind with the -s option.
>
> I can issue commands such as ypcat and ypmatch -m and it lists all the maps.
>
> When I try to login using a yp user and password I get Login incorrect.
>
> If I log in as root and su - user I get in, can see all his files in his home
> directory and the owner/group fields are being picked up from nis.
>
> Any ideas? Is there a difference in the format between the bsd and solaris yp
> passwd file? It seems the problem is purely verifying the password.
>
> Thanks
> Paul Winder `:,)

First, sorry for my incorrect english.

I have the same problem on a FreeBSD 2.1.5 Release box connected as a NIS client to
 a NIS server running Solaris 2.5. When i try to connect to the FreeBSD machine wit
h command like "rlogin pchot4 -l pbl", I get "login incorrect".

Anyway, to allow login without password problem, your .rhosts file must have the co
rrect permissions for each user.

I have put some traces on the login process and saw :

password given by Solaris NIS server : 2A/buXgRwkWcI
password given by FreeBSD local crypt function : $1$2A/buXgR$1.D4PwxPlnv5yI.6wciek.

These 2 encoded passwords are definitely not the same. I have to modify the crypt()
function in libscrypt to obtain the correct and shorter local password. These
modifications are not clean and I wonder why this difference exists between
Solaris NIS password encoding and FreeBSD password encoding ???
I don't use kerberos and the crypt() function of libscrypt use md5 encoding.

I have another problem with certain hosts names like "tk-06". I cannot execute
xterm (can't open display error) when the name of the host contain a '-'
character (DISPLAY variable correctly set and 'xhost +' executed). I have to put
theses names (20 X terminals) in the /etc/hosts file.  It seem that resolution
of the hosts names containing a '-' character has some problem at NIS level. Is thi
character a forbiden character ???? I have to investigate for this problem.
Do you (or somebody else) have this problem ???

Thanks

Patrice BLEUZE pbl@dorotech.fr
http://www.dorotech.com