Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:41:38 -0400
From:      "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting closer...!!!

I've seen FreeBSD reboot when a host route is deleted.

This is present in all of the FreeBSD versions that I've used,
which is 1.0.2 all the way to 2.2.1-RELEASE.

This does not happen all of the time, it seems.  Just most of
the time.  No hang, no panic, just a reboot.  :(

I do not remember the specifics, but it may very well be that
the route has to be entered by hand using 'route add'.  It also
may have something to do with still having an ARP table entry
for it, or not having one.  I believe that the ARP entry may
have the 'publish' flag set.

Like I said, I can't really remember anymore.  I just try to
not delete host routes anymore.

Brian Somers wrote:

> > Hello,
> >

> > I've found that I can cause reboots at will simply by killing my pppd daemon.
> > After I shutdown the modem or kill pppd, pppd is in DEs status.  My system
> > then reboots.
> >
> > Can anyone give me any tips on where to look for possible problems?
> > Ideas?
>
> You'll need to post more info.  I don't use pppd myself (yet), but
> nobody else's complained recently about this sort of thing.
>
> I can take a closer look at things next week - I'm away this weekend.
>
> > Thanks for any and all help,
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > --
> > Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
> > gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team
> >   Providing Internet and ISP startups - http://WWW.GBData.com for information
> >        FreeBSD FAQ at ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/docs/FAQ.latin1
>
> --
> Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
>       <http://www.awfulhak.org>;
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

Mark J. Taylor                                  Network R&D Manager
Cybernet Systems                                mtaylor@cybernet.com
727 Airport Blvd.                               PHONE (313) 668-2567
Ann Arbor, MI  48108                            FAX   (313) 668-8780