Date:      Mon, 05 May 1997 15:03:41 -0400
From:      Tyson Boellstorff <tysonb@pionet.net>
To:        RGireyev@bellind.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subject: SMP hardware recommendations

RGireyev@bellind.com wrote:

> >My company considers buying a new SMP machine for some
> >CPU/disk-intensive
> >tasks (similar to news server: searching and processing large
> >quantities
> >of text files),
>
> I'd like to comment about the SCSI controller(s)
> If the memory in my empty head serves me right.
> I believe the desired config is NOT an UltraWide
> with a huge (9G) disk hanging off it, but rather
> a couple of cheaper controllers with smaller
> drives (no bigger than 4G) and for optimum
> performance 2G. For more info try to search for
> Joe Grecos comments in the -hackers archive in the
> search engine. Andrew I know you've seen them though.

The controller is on the board, for the reason that it doesn't cost much
more to do that.   It's kind of like "why buy a $10 toaster, when the
bank gives away free $20 toasters, it only costs $10 to open an account,
and they're glad to do it."

If you want multiple controllers, knock yourself out. 3 PCI slots to
play with, and 2940's are way way down in price. 1 ISA slot on board.

Gateway 2000 sells 2 Gig drives, too.