Date:      Tue, 01 Jul 1997 11:35:21 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Gennadi Makhmetov <gena@ph-elec.phys.msu.su>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lnc device

Gennadi Makhmetov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am going to setup a dedicated router (running FreeBSD)
> on ISA machine. I expect I would get the best performance
> using bus mastering network cards. As I have found out, FreeBSD
> supports some such cards using the lnc driver.
> But in FAQ this driver is marked "known to have problems". In
> LINT there is no such indication. I know that sometimes
> documentation is updated less regularly than software. I would like
> to know whether this driver indeed has problems, and (if yes) of
> what kind?
>
> If I should use another type of cards, which would you recommend?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: "Gennadi Makhmetov" <gena@ph-elec.phys.msu.su>
> Date: 01-Jul-97
> Time: 21:10:43

Sme ISA chipsets cannot handle more than one of these cards at a
time also the DMA cannot candle more than 16MB of ram
as it doesn't use bounce buffers.

the best results seem to come from using the SMC 8013 or similar
family of cards.

if you have PCI all I have said is not true
however beware of compined ISA/PCI machines because
often the ISA performance is even worse than normal
because the PCI get's first chance at all the bus cycles.

In some of these chipsets (e.g. ALI) you cannot run 2 ISA
ethernet cards at full speed on the ISA bus NO-MATTER what you do
DMA, programmed IO, shared memory ALL are slwed down to such an
extent by the PCI priority that the ISA starves or overloads.

if you can get a NON PCI MB. just use 16 bit SMA/WD cards.
(they are also cheaper).
do NOT use NE2000 cards.