Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:33:44 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Multi Media <multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: remote controls

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Well, you know we are trying to compete against Intel 8)
>
> Okay, I will take any input for a limited voice recognition system 8)
>
> Next step or perhaps in parallel is to teach FreeBSD gesture recognition
> the idea got triggered last week when I was sitting in front on my
> box and I sort of wave at my monitor come on I am a little bore
> here entertain me a little -- like play a cool tv show...
You don't need VR or gestures to be a couch potatoe, just a little
script...
	while (1) {
		sitcom
		sitcom
		sitcom
	} /* :) */

> If I am not mistaken I think that the computer wearable types are doing
> intense research on gesture recognition.

so are the MITI types in Japan. Maybe we can get our Japanese
FreeBSD'ers to sneak in and do something besides check Bovine codes...
:)

> Last but not least it is not clear to me that we are building expensive
> TVs. The component costs keeps dropping down. It would not surprise
> me if the near future we can start building TVs in the $500 price
> range -- I meant FreeBSD boxes capable of being a TV.

Doesn't it just make you wake up giggling helplessly in the middle of
the night? My first computer -- $890 worth -- was an Intel SDK-86,
8086@4MHZ, 2K of 2102, 8K monitor ROM, 8 x 7-seg LED's and a hex keypad.
Didn't even have its own power supply.
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *