Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 08:29:37 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Book (Forget ORA)

>> forget ORA <<
On the contrary, I just got a very nice reply from Tim O'Reilly himself.
Although we didn't address the issue of him publishing Greg's book, he
is open to the use of FreeBSD in books where FreeBSD is the right
choice. You can't deny that he's right that our user base is smaller
than Linux. He says he's rather disappointed at the results of his
Linux-specific books, so I can understand his reluctance. The reality is
that you've got to write something worth publishing. O'Reilly's problem
is that he's already published books on most of the stuff a FreeBSD book
would cover, and Greg's book certainly doesn't leave him much room. Greg
didn't leave much out! There's also ORA's 'X User Tools' which sits in
the middle, and that covers a lot of ground, too.

I do think there's room for a swoopy-apps book written about real-world
FreeBSD projects. I've got some neat stuff I'm brewing with web and fax
integration, Amancio's fxtv is definitely a winner, and I'm sure Wes
Peters could come up with some good juicy apps, and that's just three of
us. Just describing that monster server conglomeration that hosts
CDROM.com would make a great chapter. Maybe we could even talk the Yahoo
guys into giving us a diagram of how they use FreeBSD servers in their
system.

I'm up for spearheading such an effort. I'd like to see a book with
maybe 20 projects showcased that highlight the power and flexibility of
FreeBSD and the other freeware tools that are out there (like Perl, GNU,
ghostscript, etc.), and the awesome capability this cheap Intel hardware
gives us. Any offerings?

Here's Tim's reply, in its entirety:

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *