Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 03:56:37 -0500
From:      Frankenvince <vince@rocler.qc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (was: [Fwd: Audio CD])

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 03:18:32AM -0500, Frankenvince wrote:
> >
> > My box has a problem that started out of the blue. Often, it says:
> >   sio1: 234 more tty-levels buffer overflows (total 325634)
> > in ttyv0, both 234 and 325634 are random numbers on my part.
> > It happens when there's any kind of download from my ISP.  On
> > sio1 is my 33.6kbps modem.
>
> That is common enough.
>
> > I recently saw in ppp, while doing show modem:
> >   outq: ioctl probe failed: Interupted system call
>
> That's less common.
>
> > It's bothering me a lot since it's slowing down my internet
> > connection for like half of it's speed and also ppp gives me
> > segmentation faults whenever there's a lot of connections asked.
>
> And that's very uncommon.
>
> Of course, there isn't much I can do about it, since you didn't tell
> me what you're running.  I'd suggest you take a look at
> http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.  But I'd guess it's a relatively
> slow machine (386?)  with a 16450 UART.  Look for a board with 16550
> UARTS; they're not expensive, and they should solve the problem.  I've
> been monitoring a 368DX/33 which functions as an Internet gateway, and
> it had a lot of these overruns until it changed to 16550s.  Since then
> there have been none.
>
> Greg

I'm running a Cyrix 486DX4-100Mhz with 24Mb RAM.  My motherboard is
PCI/ISA with serial (16550) on board with Award BIOS.  My modem is a USR
33.6Kbps sportster.  I'm running FreeBSD-2.2.5-stable with XFree86 3.3.1
with ijppp.  I use tkirc/ircII-2.9-roof and netscape-communicator 4.04
mainly when I'm online.

Vince