Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:40:01 -0500
From:      Chris Wood <wood@ct.picker.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, c.l.wood@csu-e.csuohio.edu
Subject:   Free BSD on a gw2k

Dear Daemons:

    I wonder if you or anyone you know has had any success installing
FreeBSD on a Gateway 2000 machine.  I have a gw2k 200MMX Pentium, with
integrated Ensoniq PCI sound and ATI Rage II video on the motherboard.
It has 32 Mb SDRAM and a 3.8 Gb EIDE Hard drive.  I am having a hell of
a time installing
FreeBSD on it.  I bought the CD from Cheap*Bytes, it is version 2.5.2,
IIRC.  I've gotten to the config program, but it hangs when trying to
write the boot manager, and in any case, there are no options for my
sound & video cards, and I'm not sure if it has the right driver for my
CD-ROM (it is a Toshiba 20X).  I'm kicking myself in the butt for not
making my own machine so I could pick out BSD-compatible hardware, but
I wonder if you know of anyone who has successfully installed FreeBSD on
a machine like this, and how they did it.

Thank You,

Christopher L. Wood