Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 12:06:46 +0100
From:      Matthew Sharlot <matthew@federal.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Internet configuration

I asked  a question and got a reply that helped me out tremendously.
Since then I have been playing around and am confused as to how I am
managing to access the web.
My original problem was that I could establish a PPP connection no
problem, but could not get out onto the web at all or receive any mail.
I was sure that the problem was in /etc/rc.conf and had been messing
around with it, but with no luck . The response I got from John Kenagy
suggested that I create a file /etc/resolv.conf and put the name server
imformtion in there, which I did and bingo everything started to work.
Just to see what happened I then removed the configuration in
/etc/rc.conf for tun0 and set defaultrouter="NO". I was ure that one of
these entries was important, but to my surprise I could still acces the
web. Ithen removed tun0 as a device from /etc/rc.conf, rebooted and it
still works.
The question I have is why is it still working, does /etc/rc.conf not
have any effect on dial-up connections? Why is there no mention of
/etc/resolv.conf in the manual, is this file really neccessary, or
should I be able to get out onto the web without it? I have another
account with a different ISP that does not supply DNS addresses, so
obviously I wouldn't be able to put an entry in /etc/resolv.conf. How
would I get this working. Can I use both ISP's and how would bsd know
which was which as they both assign addresses dynamically. Does God
exist, and will I ever stop asking stupid questions?

Yours hopefully

Matthew.