Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 20:41:55 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, sbabkin@dcn.att.com
Subject:   Re: kern/6668

Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav wrote:

> Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> > State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
> > State-Changed-By: phk
> > State-Changed-When: Sun May 17 23:00:21 PDT 1998
> > State-Changed-Why:
> > Uhm, can you briefly explain what use this is ?
>
> RTFS :) I asked myself the same question. The driver is inaptly named;
> it is not a loopback device, but rather a virtual ethernet driver
> which allows you to run simulations (e.g. of network monitoring
> software) on just one machine (by configuring several loe devices, and
> running packet generators on some of them and the software you're
> testing on others). Actually, I think this driver would be very useful
> to me for testing my etherlog¹ package - once it gets a little more
> feature-laden :)

Actually the name shows the history: I started with thinking
about what else would I like to get from the loopback device to
test the IPX code :-) When I posted its description a few weeks
ago in -hackres, I got 3 answers from peoples who wants to use it.
If you want, I can forward to you their answers (from work, I have
them saved there and my address there is sbabkin@dcn.att.com) tomorrow.

-SB