Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 21:56:18 -0700
From:      dcooper <hysterx@interaccess.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: default route and ppp

--------------DCEC142BC616E88C209B5399

hi!

    Thanks for responding. I was playing around with the ppp.conf and
ppp.linkup files and never got it to work right. I did however after a while
figure out what my error was.
It is a simple one I think however I thought Id share it. On my network I use
the private IPs 10.0.0.x . My main computer is 10.0.0.1, my Win95 computer is
10.0.0.2, and my dial out machine is 10.0.0.4 . Well in the freeBSD ppp
configuration scripts it suggests that I use the following:

    set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0

    Well as you can see this is what it tries to route in the beginning and
then waits for a correction from the ISP. Well for some reason it sets my
Win95 machine as the default gateway every time it redials and it sticks. heh
So I just put a fictional IP in the place of 10.0.0.2 and the ISP corrected it
because the strange IP had no route nor listing in my hosts file.

Once again Thanks for responding! freeBSD is a dream in my world!

Dave

Brian Somers wrote:

> With 2.2.6, you probably need ``add 0 0 HISADDR'' in ppp.linkup as
> well as ppp.conf.
>
> If you're using -auto mode and you're not changing your IP number,
> it shouldn't be necessary to do any ``add 0 0 HISADDR''s after the
> initial ppp.conf one - unless you're doing a ``delete all''
> somewhere.
>
> In the latest ppp, you need only ever ``add 0 0 hisaddr'' once -
> after that, it ``stick''s and gets re-run after every interface
> IP number change :-)
>
> You can get that version on
>
>   http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html
>
> One other thing of note, ``add! 0 0 hisaddr'' will add the route,
> overwriting any existing route.  Also, ``add default hisaddr'' and
> ``add 0 0 hisaddr'' are synonymous.
>
> > hello,
> >
> >     Im sorry to pester any of you but I would like to ask a quick
> > question.
> > I have freeBSD 2.2.6 on a dial out gateway using IP aliasing ( A
> > DREAM!!!!!). All works fine for almost all of it. I use the command ppp
> > -ddial internet   to start the dialing
> > and all goes well. Now my problem is, I use a "dial out gateway" to
> > provide internet access with my local LAN every thing goes well with
> > that as should be but when the connection goes down due to problems with
> > either line quality or my ISP doing upgrades and such my modem resets
> > and redials the ISP and logs on when it can. This all works fine as is
> > my intention but once the ppp has re-established the connection the
> > default route that gets set up between my ISP and the gateway gets
> > erased and for some reason one of my routes on my ethernet ed0 gets put
> > there and the default route does not get replaced with my ISP's gateway
> > once again. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I have set up
> > my dial up just as the handbook said to and also using the pedantic ppp
> > primer. the only difference is my internal IP's are 10.0.0.x . Is there
> > maybe another
> > add 0 0 HISADDR that I should add to compensate for this? Or since the
> > default route is static ( my IPS never changes the IP to their gateway)
> > can I use add 0 0 and my ISP's gateway? Well Im hoping that some of you
> > know this problem. Seems like a simple fix that I just yet don't
> > understand all the way. =)
> >
> > by the way freeBSD is the best OS Ive used so far. It is the only one
> > that I have accomplished good networking with ease. I use Win95 freeBSD
> > and linux all on my network here. freeBSD is by far the most awesome
> > system by FAR!!
> >
> > well, any help would be appreciated!
> > Dave Cooper
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <brian@OpenBSD.org>
>       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

--------------DCEC142BC616E88C209B5399

<HTML>
hi!

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for responding. I was playing around with
the ppp.conf and ppp.linkup files and never got it to work right. I did
however after a while figure out what my error was.
<BR>It is a simple one I think however I thought Id share it. On my network
I use the private IPs 10.0.0.x . My main computer is 10.0.0.1, my Win95
computer is 10.0.0.2, and my dial out machine is 10.0.0.4 . Well in the
freeBSD ppp configuration scripts it suggests that I use the following:

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <B>set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0</B><B></B>

<P><B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </B>Well as you can see this is what it tries
to route in the beginning and then waits for a correction from the ISP.
Well for some reason it sets my Win95 machine as the default gateway every
time it redials and it sticks. heh So I just put a fictional IP in the
place of 10.0.0.2 and the ISP corrected it because the strange IP had no
route nor listing in my hosts file.

<P>Once again Thanks for responding! freeBSD is a dream in my world!

<P>Dave

<P>Brian Somers wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>With 2.2.6, you probably need ``add 0 0 HISADDR''
in ppp.linkup as
<BR>well as ppp.conf.

<P>If you're using -auto mode and you're not changing your IP number,
<BR>it shouldn't be necessary to do any ``add 0 0 HISADDR''s after the
<BR>initial ppp.conf one - unless you're doing a ``delete all''
<BR>somewhere.

<P>In the latest ppp, you need only ever ``add 0 0 hisaddr'' once -
<BR>after that, it ``stick''s and gets re-run after every interface
<BR>IP number change :-)

<P>You can get that version on

<P>&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html">http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html</A>;

<P>One other thing of note, ``add! 0 0 hisaddr'' will add the route,
<BR>overwriting any existing route.&nbsp; Also, ``add default hisaddr''
and
<BR>``add 0 0 hisaddr'' are synonymous.

<P>> hello,
<BR>>
<BR>>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Im sorry to pester any of you but I would
like to ask a quick
<BR>> question.
<BR>> I have freeBSD 2.2.6 on a dial out gateway using IP aliasing ( A
<BR>> DREAM!!!!!). All works fine for almost all of it. I use the command
ppp
<BR>> -ddial internet&nbsp;&nbsp; to start the dialing
<BR>> and all goes well. Now my problem is, I use a "dial out gateway"
<BR>> provide internet access with my local LAN every thing goes well with
<BR>> that as should be but when the connection goes down due to problems
with
<BR>> either line quality or my ISP doing upgrades and such my modem resets
<BR>> and redials the ISP and logs on when it can. This all works fine
as is
<BR>> my intention but once the ppp has re-established the connection the
<BR>> default route that gets set up between my ISP and the gateway gets
<BR>> erased and for some reason one of my routes on my ethernet ed0 gets
put
<BR>> there and the default route does not get replaced with my ISP's gateway
<BR>> once again. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I have set
up
<BR>> my dial up just as the handbook said to and also using the pedantic
ppp
<BR>> primer. the only difference is my internal IP's are 10.0.0.x . Is
there
<BR>> maybe another
<BR>> add 0 0 HISADDR that I should add to compensate for this? Or since
the
<BR>> default route is static ( my IPS never changes the IP to their gateway)
<BR>> can I use add 0 0 and my ISP's gateway? Well Im hoping that some
of you
<BR>> know this problem. Seems like a simple fix that I just yet don't
<BR>> understand all the way. =)
<BR>>
<BR>> by the way freeBSD is the best OS Ive used so far. It is the only
one
<BR>> that I have accomplished good networking with ease. I use Win95 freeBSD
<BR>> and linux all on my network here. freeBSD is by far the most awesome
<BR>> system by FAR!!
<BR>>
<BR>> well, any help would be appreciated!
<BR>> Dave Cooper

<P>Cheers.

<P>--
<BR>Brian &lt;brian@Awfulhak.org>, &lt;brian@FreeBSD.org>, &lt;brian@OpenBSD.org>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;<A HREF="http://www.Awfulhak.org">http://www.Awfulhak.org</A>>;
<BR>Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>