Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 15:25:59 +0100
From:      Elliott Miller <elmo@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        freeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   system crash when using 'make'

Hi

I am new to FreeBSD,  and have recently installed v 2.2.6 using the
Complete FreeBSD book as guidance.

Every thing works fine apart from one thing.......

Whenever I do 'make' either to build a port or rebuid the kernal, at
some point through compilation the machine will crash with something
like this message:
Fatal trap 12:             page fault while in kernal mode
fault virtual address     = 0x8:573c418
fault code                   = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer       = 0x8:0xf01ba1f7
stack pointer              = 0x10:0xefbff9fc
frame pointer             = 0x10:0xefbffa00
code segment             = base 0x0, linit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                 = DPL 0, pres1, def 321, gran 1
processor eflags        = interupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process         = 467(ccl)
interupt mask            =
panic: page fault

syncing disks......
I get the impression that its trying to reboot,  but it dosn't, at this
point I have to do a hard reboot.

It dosn't happen every time (I managed to port xemacs on the fifth
attempt) and its never at the same point,  but its only when I run
'make'.

As you can imagine this is ***really*** annoying.

Does anyone know why this is happening or (preferably) how to correct
the problem?

My system: Pentium 100,  1GB HD (DOS) 4GB HD (2GB DOS/ 1GB FreeBSD/ rest

unused) 40MB RAM

cheers

elmo