Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 15:04:35 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        CP4@mead.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote upgrade advice

CP4@mead.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a freebsd box acting as a web server that is co-located at a local
> ISP.
> I would like to upgrade it to the latest FreeBSD release. It is a headless
> box and I
> have configured it using a serial console. It is currently running
> 2.1.6-RELEASE.
> I would like to be able to do the upgrade remotely, that is, without having
> to go to the ISP's site if at all possible.
> Going to the site is not out of the question, but If I can do all or most
> of the upgrade remotely, then that is what
> I would like to do. Also, I have no modem on the serial port that I'm using
> as the console, so I could not simply
> dial up the console screen.  My question is, does anyone here have any
> suggestions/tips/techiques as to
> how I could do this? Also, are there any general issues I should be
> watching out for when upgrading
> from 2.1.6 (configuration file changes, etc.)?

	You can go to http://www.freebsd.org/ and under the Documentation
section look for the "Update from source/make world" tutorial. You can
also take a look at my page, http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/upgrade.html
which has much of the same info but has more info (since the last time I
looked at Nik's page, it could have changed :) about upgrading remotely
since I do this often. Also, since you're doing a 'major' upgrade (2.1.x
to 2.2.x) you will probably find my comproot script useful. It's also on
my page.

	If you're not looking to do a make world upgrade, you will have to do
it from the console.

Good luck,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

At Barry (a small town in south Wales) hidden cameras have had to be
installed to keep watch on the town's CCTV [Closed Circuit Television]
to record acts of vandalism against the CCTV. - Privacy Forum