Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:00:08 -0400
From:      Yili Yang <yiyang@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Free BSD installation trouble

    Hi, I am a new user of Free BSD, the only exp. I had was the
installation of Slackware Linux 20 or so times.  I am having problems
installing Free BSD 2.2.7
    I can get Free BSD to install, but I am having two problems:
1:  After the installation of system I was prompted to run XF86Setup, I
assumed that this will be similar to the same command in Linux, and
others told me that it willswitch to graphic mode.  But it didn't.   The
program asked me to wait and I see on the screen " this will take a
while ", after a while, there was nothing, the program just stoped and
went straight to the next section, prasorted packages  I did not have a
chance to spacify my vedio card or anything.  And I did not see any user
interface.  I am pretty sure that was not right.

2:
    After finally geting everything to install, I quit the installation
program, and the program told me to remove floppy and it will reboot.
Then it reboots, the computer give me the boot manager choise to chose
between HD1 and HD2, I choose Free BSD, it started to load, but after it
detects my 2 HDs, it says Intel Pentium FOOF detected installing
workaround
changing root device to wd1s1a
panic cannot mount root
reboot
It happened everytime after I install the thing, and I did all the clean
installation too, I reformatted the HD and devoted the entire HD to BSD.

If you can help me please do. thank you.