Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 98 10:03:40 -800
From:      "Muhammad Najib"<najib@csi-x.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall ...

>On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Muhammad Najib wrote:
>
>>     Could you please give me an example file as well as some lines which
have
>> the rule(s) of allowing connection on the telnet port(23) and deny any other

>> else than that. I've refered to the page you pointed me to, but I just wanna

>> make a kinda confirmation here :) . Which where if I were to use ipfw :
>>
>> ipfw add pass tcp from any to any 23
>
>allows all telnet connections in and out.
>
>If you only wanted to enable incoming telnet connections you could use:
>
>ipfw add pass tcp from any to any 23 recv
>ipfw add pass tcp from any 23 to any xmit
>

>> ipfw add pass tcp from any 23 to any
>
>allows anything in and out so long as it comes from a port 23.  This is
>bad.  If they have root on their end then they can send a packet to any
>port on your machine.  (They may not get anything back).
>
>> ipfw add deny all from any to any
>                ^^^
>change 'all' to 'ip'.
>

>Andrew McNaughton

Thanx Andrew for that bunch of information. But actually I need it in 'ipf'
instead of 'ipfw' :)
I'll take note on what you forward up here. Again thanx in advance.

regards,

MUHAMMAD NAJIB ABDUL MUKTHI               member of My-Linux.ORG
NETWORK ENGINEER / SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR   http://www.my-linux.org
Cutting Edge Enterprise
MPKS Tower Jalan Tunku Ibrahim            najib@mrsm.org
05000 Kedah Darulaman.                    najib@csi-x.net