Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 23:44:53 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        Werner Griessl <croot@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de>
Cc:        Scott Wilson <sevn@mindspring.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qt-1.40 hosed?

I have fully built the world, XFree86 and kde in ELF format on two
different -CURRENT systems (both single processors, one a P5 the
other a PII) without problems (after kde was fixed for ELF builds
only recently).

All I can suggest is that you may not have updated your system
properly during these fast changing times in -CURRENT.  Or you have
been trying to build the ports before they have been fixed for ELF
or you have a bunch of old a.out libraries that are confusing things.

Please make sure you have:

- performed the ELF conversion properly:
       - i.e. the "make aout-to-elf" build.
       - Note that the move of old aout libs to the aout
         subdirectories was added later to the aout-to-elf target
         so depending on when you did your "make aout-to-elf",
         you may still need to "make move-aout-libs" to get the
         old libraries out of /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib and
         /usr/X11R6/lib.

         I actually pkg_delete'd everything on my system first except
         XFree86 before running "make move-aout-libs" because I only
         wanted the a.out libraries for X as I am going to rebuild any
         software I use from the ports collection as I still have more
         than 200MB of distfiles in /usr/ports/distfiles from previous
         ports installations.

- updated your /etc directory properly after the ELF world build.  It's
    very important that /etc/rc, /etc/rc.conf, the other /etc/rc.*
    files, /etc/make.conf and the files in /etc/mtree are up to date.
    See Nik Clayton's tutorial at the URL below to help you here:

http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

- built your kernel correctly paying attention to changes in kernel
    configuration option changes since your last kernel build. (keeping
    a copy of /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT from your last kernel build
    is useful here to see whats changed when compared with the new LINT).
    [This is no substitute for reading the cvs-all and freebsd-current
    mailing lists though].

    I always use "options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE" in my kernel and have
    comments in my config file stating what version of LINT the kernel
    is based on.  Then I can simply do an "ident /kernel" which tells
    me that date I built the kernel and the LINT it's based on.

/kernel:
     $Id: MATTE,v 7.1 1998/10/03 01:06:00 +09:30 matt Exp $
     $Id: LINT,v 1.479 1998/10/01 11:48:38 yokota Exp $

- Last of all you need to make sure you update your ports collection
    totally before attempting the kde build as this has only recently
    been fixed.

Werner Griessl wrote:

> On 06-Oct-98 Scott Wilson wrote:
> >
> > I just cvsupped and did the make world thing recompiles the kernel
> > rebooted, etc. That all went really smooth. Good job guys.
> >
> > I'm running 3.0 current a.out on a pent pro 200 single processor.
> >
> > 2940 UW.  Cam is working fine, although things seem slower.
> >
> > I cd'd to /usr/ports/x11/kde and did a
> >
> > make install clean
> >
> > and this is what happened:
> >
> > ld: /usr/lib/c++rt0.o: No such file or directory
> > mv: rename libqt.so.1.40 to ../lib/libqt.so.1.40: No such file o
> > gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work/
> > cd tutorial; gmake
> > gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work
> > l'
> > cd t1; gmake
> > gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work
> > l/t1'
> > g++ -L/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work/qt-1.40/lib -L/usr/X11R
> > n.o  -lqt -lX11
> > ld: -lqt: no match
> > gmake[2]: *** [t1] Error 1
> > gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work/
> > /t1'
> > gmake[1]: *** [t1] Error 2
> > gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work/
> > '
> > gmake: *** [tutorial] Error 2
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> >

> > I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the relevant stuff, going so far
> > as to remove the distfiles:
> >
> > qt-1.40
> > gmake-3.77
> > Mesa-3.0
> > XFree86-3.3.2
> > jpeg-6b
> > giflib-3.0
> >
> > No dice. After playing with this for about 8 hours, including trying to
> > modify the MakeFile, I'm stumped. I didn't want to bug the maintainer
> > because I'm not 100% sure that I'm not doing something stupid, so I
> > figured I'd bug everyone else. ; )
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Scott Wilson

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> Had the same problem yesterday !
> I was only able to build kde with the egcs-port installed.
> Parts of kde seems to use /usr/local/bin/gcc instead of /usr/bin/cc .
>
> Werner

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973