Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 17:01:39 +0100
From:      "Nick A. Fikouras" <nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bandwith monitor for unix freebsd

George Uhl wrote:

> > Lubna Zia wrote:
> >
> > > Can we somehow control the bandwith being used by the customers at
an
> > > ISP with the help of any relevant s/w tool available for unix
freebsd?
> > > Is there a bandwith monitor available for unix freebsd?
> > >

> For traffic control and bandwidth management look at ALTQ:
>
> http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/kjc/software.html
>
> One of the ALTQ traffic control disciplines, CBQ, has a graphical
traffic
> monitoring capbility.  Then there is ttt, which is a graphical
derivative
> of tcpdump.  You can get ttt from the ALTQ page or from the freebsd
ports
> collection.
>
> > When we are talking about TCP/IP network, as far as I know IP is a
best
> > effort protocol. That is, it performs its best to deliver traffic as
fast
> > as it can. It is this characteristic of IP that makes it impossible
(with
> > the current router infrastructure) to reserve or allocate bandwidth
in the
> > Internet.
> >

> Absolutely not true!  Cisco supports traffic shaping, packet
prioritization,
> weighted fair queueing, etc. right now.  There is a lot of work on
implementing
> different queuing disciplines to support bandwidth reservation.  Don't
forget
> the work being done by the IETF to define diffserv which will make QoS
> reality in the internet.

Don't forget the Resource reSerVetion Protocol (RFC 2208) of IETF.

> You are correct in one sense, the desired bandwidth reservation can
break down if
> at least one router along the flow path cannot provide support for
that reservation.

How many routers are there in the net today that support any kind of
resource
reservation mechanism? Let alone having an ISP with bandwidth
reservation services to
all its users. There is no way you'll ever find one single path where
all routers are
going to support bandwidth reservations.