Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 23:07:04 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to put java libs

Wow, this was obviously a hot topic  ;-)

... so, where did this discussion lead?

$PREFIX/share ?

$PREFIX/libdata ?

(I don't even have a local/libdata; it's not part of the ports make
files mtree stuff, huh?)

I personally vote against lib and libexec. Also, to clutter /usr/local
with lot's of directories for every application is ugly, IMO.

Also, shall there be [share|libdata]/appname dirs, or just a common
[share|libdata]/classes or [share|libdata]/java? That might depend on
whether the jar files are useful to more than this specific application.
For example, where would a database engine jdbc jar-file go?

I think it's good that we discuss this now, for at the moment there are
hardly no ports of java stuff in the ports tree, and while ports of java
stuff should really not be necessary (platform independence etc...),
many java applications use Solaris (sometimes Linux) specific shell
script wrappers that definitely need porting. I would love to see this
happen in the ports tree. Also, it would be great to have a standard
place to put all the stuff, even if not using a port. Now, this part
belongs in freebsd-ports: just like there is USE_GMAKE, there should
perhaps be a USE_JDK?  :-)

What's happening in JDK 1.2 regarding this topic, BTW? If there is a
standard way to place jar files etc... with that version, is it
something that can be used now?

/Palle