Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 12:33:13 -0500
From:      Roman Katsnelson <rkatsnel@globix.com>
To:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   disk space issues

Hi,

I have the wonderfully exciting task of transferring a live web server
to another box. We're moving it from Solaris to FreeBSD, so as you
understand, I can't simply swap the hard drives... Anyway, the problem
is thus: I have about 200M worth of content in one of the virtual
servers, and only about 65M free space anywhere on the box. So I can't
tar it up and move it. We have ftpd turned off on all boxes on the
network, and use scp. I really don't want to scp every file (these are
html files that make up 200m, you can imagine how many of them there
must be!) separately... I tried to gzip the directory structure with

gzip -r docs/* > docs.gz

but that actually gzips every file, which is unacceptable on a live
server. is there anyway I can get all these files into one gzipped one
WITHOUT affecting the originals? or anything else I can do?

thanks,
Roman