Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 06:24:46 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real performance comparisons (was: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE  6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!)

I talked with a friend at considerable length about SMP in Linux vs
FreeBSD and we agreed that newer Linux kernels would be faster than
FreeBSD.  This is going on the thinking that Linux uses a subsystem
lock that allows all the CPUs to work on their own parts of the kernel
simultaneously--theoretically eliminating processor idle time--whereas
FreeBSD's spin lock allows only single CPU access at any given moment.
Did we get this right?  We don't have SMP hardware to test this idea.

(Let me know if I should take this to smp or hackers instead.)

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world