Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 01:13:22 +0800 (SGT)
From:      "Sudirman Hassan" <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeFirewall

Hi,

Thanks for answers on my XFree864.10 problem. I'll try it when I get back my
monitor ( i sent to shop for repair this morning, it getting blur for months
and I could no more resist it :). Will be getting back on Monday - quite long
time eh ).

I'm tired of windows. That's say everything. Now I want to shift to FreeBSD. I
want to learn it and love it. That's what I put up at my locker. I started to
play with it 3 months ago with some 8 months backround in Linux. Since then I
never look back to something they call "bloating-prone-to-crash-OS".

In process of learning it, I want to contribute something to community.
Eventhough it might be a small project, hope it'll help other later or at least
give some idea or prototype so that someone might be coming with better thing.
Thus I come with idea of webbased firewall. Easy to use, install and manage.

The idea is that :
1. Sys admin using webbased interface to manage the firewall - remotely using
browser. Can do configuration of firewall policy, rule via web. See log file.
for firewall - i might be using ip filter.
2. have option for ssh for those who like to tinkering by hand.
3. sharing connection with pc in LAN - ( i think suitable for small and medium
size company ) - NAT i guess doing all this
4. dhcp
5. caching for faster and saving bandwith - might be using Squid.
6. filtering - might using squidGuard.
7. intrusion detection - snort or something like that.
8. upgrade etc.
9. Setting that improve security

All of the above will be done in a way that can be use/configure/tinker via
web. To make it related to FreeBSD, I name it "FreeFirewall" :) You might have
guess it. :P Security is a must.

This is my Final Year Project. There's many topics available that I can choose
but I think better I propose something that I can use it as a way to play with
my FreeBSD box and in the same time provide those with faint-hearted to use
FreeBSD and later love it. :) Also I see that many company ( small to medium )
need something like this. Something like this have appeared in Linux such as
Mandrake SNF and e-smith but I don;t know whether we FreeBSDian have one.

Now, come to what I want to ask. :) Please give comments, constructive
suggestion, links, article,  whatever so that I can make this project a
reality. Personal help would also be welcome. I like to mail personally to
those who volunteer to help personally rather flooding this mailing list. Flame
should be okay :)

Regards,
-dman
Cyberjaya, MSC, Malaysia