Date:      Sat, 01 May 1999 20:08:06 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printjob.c

I hope your example isn't complete because the "else" and "fi" are
missing and that is supposed to be an exit not the editor ex.

Kent

Gary Kline wrote:

> According to Ben Smithurst:
> > Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > >     Sure.  This would have  been pretty common, both  by new users
> > >     and by the more seasoned user.
> > >
> > >     Doug White, if you have any time, maybe you can think of
> > >     something obscure...  Why execv() fails in printjob.c,
> > >     andor why lpr doesn't queue anything.
> >
> > One thing you may or may not have checked: if it's a script of some sort,
> > is the #! line correct?
> >

>         I find the #! line 3 spaces down in hpif and thought,
>         Wow!  But I fixed that and retried "lpr hpif"  and no-joy.
>
>         Here is the script that I swiped from the Search page.
>         The script may be bad;  No more "cannot execv %s" errors;
>         now the error is from lp.
>
> May  1 17:46:22 tao su: kline to root on /dev/ttyp1
> May  1 17:46:51 tao lpd[15275]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA400tao.thought.org)
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> #  ifhp - Print Ghostscript-simulated PostScript on a Canon BJC-4100
> #  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/hpif
> #
> #  Treat LF as CR+LF:
> #
> printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2
> #
> #  Read first two characters of the file
> #
> read first_line
> first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`
> if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
>     #
>     #  It is PostScript; use Ghostscript to scan-convert and print it
>     #
>     /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epsonc
> -sOutputFile=- - \
>         && ex
>
>         So: new errs.  Any idea what's causing this complaint from
>         ``lp''?
>
>         hmmm.
>
>         thanks!
>
>         gary

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html