Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:54:23 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinsman <nathank@mentisworks.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SAMBA / 3.3-Stable / transfer delay

I have seen these problems with Samba and FreeBSD since Samba version
2.04.  I used to get very good performance, and even used Samba to
demonstrate FreeBSD's superiority over Windows NT and Linux for file
serving to some clients, but this is not the case anymore.

I can get outstanding write performance, utilizing around 70% of my 100
meg ethernet hub by setting the recieve buffer to 262144 (performance
starts flattening around a 65k receive buffer though), but I can not get
write performance past about 300k, with high delays between packets.
Setting any other socket options has not helped.  I've also tried
compiling with pgcc and egc 2.95.2 with a number of different compile
switches, but Samba is not very influenced by compiler choice, the
performance varies little.

An interesting observation is that Windows NT performance is not nearly
as poor, and can write to the FreeBSD server about twice as fast with
little delay.  The problems seems mostly with FreeBSD and Windows 98
(perhaps 95 as well?).

My hard drives bench at 19 megs per sec, so this is not a limiting
factor, and I believe the EtherExpress Pro100b driver I'm using is
decently stable and tested.

Any one able to offer more insight into this problem?  I think the Samba
team is not going to be much help as I don't think they are very happy
with FreeBSD breaking their MSG_WAITALL optimization from 2.0.5.  I'd
hate to see our platform becoming a poor choice for running Samba when
so many businesses are using it.

-
Nathan Kinsman