Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:31:59 -0500
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mcgovern@spoon.beta.com
Subject:   Re: QA effort stalled in june due to lack of interest (was Re: speaking of 3.4)

Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> Getting back on topic, what would people say to a 14 day release window? That
> would mean that Jordan will freeze code on 12/1, as mentioned in the thread,
> and a release will be forthcoming on or about 12/15. It could be later if
> there are serious problems found. But, I think this is a reasonable time to
> get some mileage on a release.

     It strikes me as still a bit short, but probably the best we could
expect under the circumstances.

> Next question is who is going to do the work. This is the kicker. If we can
> find 6-12 people (and I'll be the first to volunteer) who are serious about
> getting some testing time in between 12/1 and 12/14, we might be able to
> scramble something together. By "serious", I mean that you have a machine or
> two to play with, and have a few hours daily, no less than every other day, to
> install a full new version, and bang the hell out of it. You should probably
> also consider the bandwidth you have to download releases. One or two may also
> have the luxury of installing a prior release, and then testing the "Upgrade"
> route. This means that a worst-case scenario, you have 42 machine/releases
> played with for a couple of hours each.

     I can't guarentee I can give more than about 1-2 hours per night,
but it's yours if you can use it.  I also have a cable modem to play
with, so bandwidth isn't a huge worry.
     As well, having just upgraded this box from 3.0 to 3.3-stable
(fwiw, this was not nearly so easy as the instructions would lead a
person to believe ;)), I could wind it back to 3.0 as part of the test
process.  I have another box that I can live on for a couple of weeks if
things get really weird.

> The last hard task will be figuring out what/how to test. My first thought is
> to plow through the pr's that are either a.) closed since the 3.2-RELEASE, or
> b.) open. a.) gives you the chance to verify that the "fixes" really fixed
> things, and b.) lets you verify the bug really exists, and possibly give you
> a chance to debug it more fully. From this, we can hopefully pull a test
> set together.

     I've only just recently started tracking this list, so I'm not
completely up to speed on all the bugs and fixes that have been through
here since 3.2.  I would still be willing to test against them given a
reasonable plan.

> Anyhow, if you're willing to basically give up the next three weeks of free
> time for your favorite OS, drop me a line, and we can start coordinating
> events. If this email flops as badly as the first, I'll summarize by Friday
> that QA is impossible, due to a lack of interest in a concerted effort.
>         -Brian

    Hopefully, I won't be the only one willing to play ;)

Cheers,
Colin