Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:23:43 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   User-ppp on 3.4-Stable

I ran into a problem today with user-ppp. I was reading about ppp and
that is when I got into trouble :). The message log keeps taking about
-alias being depricated and so I was trying to get aliasing to work with
NAT. That is when I started getting the following message

Dec 19 14:36:45 ruby ppp[454]: Warning: No available tunnel devices
found (Device busy)

This didn't occur on 3.3S, when I used pppctl to close down user-ppp. At
least, I don't remember ever seeing that message before. User-ppp seems
to be very sensitive to rebooting the system while it is still running.
I have it configured, from the sample.conf, to use /var/run/internet and
that local domain socket is left around if it shuts down badly. User-ppp
won't start if it already exists. It is a simple matter to cd to
/var/run and rm it, which will allow ppp to start. It is easy to make
ppp leave /var/run/internet. All you have to do is use top to kill the
process. The system was cvsup'ed on 18 Dec (19 Dec UTC) and the make
world was done on 19 Dec.

When I tried starting user-ppp with the -nat option, I didn't get
aliasing for my other systems. I figure I am missing something but don't
know what. The -alias still works but I want to switch to the curent
style.

Thanks.

Kent