Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:54:54 -0600
From:      Erik de Zeeuw <erik@usishealth.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Web URL based redirection

Hi,

I'm in the process of converting a Window$ NT based web
application server into a cluster of FreeBSD machines,
for both performance and long term usage, as well as
personal satisfaction to see little daemons everywhere :)

The problem is I can't just replace everything. I'll have
to replace all this on an application basis. So I have to
keep the actual NT server for the original applications.

For now, applications are used with an URL like

http://www.company.com/application

And I would like to setup things so that the applications
which are on the FreeBSD server can also be accessed the
same way.

I already install a FreeBSD/IPFilter firewall between the
web server and the internet.

So the question is what software should I use on the
firewall
to forward requests to http://company.com/NTapplication to
the NT server, and forwarding
http://company.com/BSDapplication
to the FreeBSD server ?

I guess it sounds like the software should be a proxy, but
it may not be necessary to install a full proxy to just
forward url requests to the machine they belong.

Note that some applications uses secure http (https) so the
software has to support it.

Thanks for reading,
Erik

PS. I recently moved to Austin, TX. So if there are some
Austin
FreeBSD users outthere, let me know :)