Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:22:31 +0000
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VmWare Performance

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> My experience was that booting my native win98 partition seemed more
> slugish than a virtual disk on a file on the FreeBSD partition.  I've
> not used it much though, and my Win98 partition is setup for a Vaio
> rather than Vmware.

I have tried both NT Workstation and win98 on real partitions and win98 on a
virtual partition. Unfortunately, a direct comparison between win98 real and
win98 virtual is not meaningful, because the former is a PII-233 laptop, and
the later is a K7-600 desktop machine. But that being said, the PII is much,
much slower than the other machine.

NT Workstation running on a raw partition appears to be comperable to it
running on the same machine natively, however. That leads me to believe
that this may be a phenomenon limited to win98.