Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:39:09 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as high speed router

Martin Cracauer wrote:

> In <20000223115722.A23927@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > Would be interesting to tell how you managed to produce a bootable floppy
> > with the subsequent scripting that starts the OS and all that.
>
> The trick I used is that I have a custom `init` binary, which looks at
> getpid() and argv[0] and depending on that bahaves like:

Now as the CD-ROM drives are quite cheap (I've got
a 24x IDE drive for $30 about half a year ago) and
the CD-writers are commonplace (and the writable/
re-witable CDs are also cheap) a bootable CD-ROM may
be a simpler and more extensible solution. The bootable
CD-ROMs can be created with mkhybrid: just create
a floppy image that will mount cdrom as it root FS
and give it to mkhybrid. You can still use floppy
for such things as configuration files. The only
caveat is to make sure that your BIOS is able to boot
from CDROM.

-SB