Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:18:02 -0500
From:      ccba <ccba@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PostScript LAN Printer problem part 2

 Hello:

    The LaserWriter IIg is connected to a hub via a UTP cable.

    My FreeBSD machine is also connected to the hub via a UTP cable.

    My mac is connected to the hub and it prints to the IIg perfectly.

    The purpose for this wire up is for both the Mac and the FreeBSD to
share the
same printer.

phil wong

Walter Brameld wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, ccba
wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> >     I setup my /etc/printcap file with the following as its first
line:

> >         rlp|Remote Printer:\

:rm=LaserWriter-IIg:sd=/var/spool/output/LaserWriter-IIg:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

> >     When I type this
> >
> >         lpr -Prlp /etc/printcap
> >
> >     I got this
> >
> >         Feb 26 06:48:18 myname lpd[369]:unalbe to get address list
for
> > remote machine
> >         LaserWriter-IIg: Host name lookup failure
> >
> >     question:
> >
> >         Where should I enter the printer's address ??
> >
> >     BTW, how do you get the ethernet address of this printer ??
> >

> > Sincerely,
> > phil wong
> >
> > still trying to print after three weeks of FreeBSD use :-((
> >
> Not knowing anything about how your printer is connected I can't
answer your
> last question. What I did notice is, in your printcap file, "rm"
refers to the
> name of the host machine to which the printer is connected. "rp" is
used to
> provide the name given to the printer connected to the host machine.
For
> example, if the printer host machine is known on the network as
> comp.mydomain.domain and the printer is known ON THAT HOST as
LaserWriter-IIg,