Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 07:30:17 -0500
From:      "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

Brett Glass wrote:

> True. But they still can't derive from header files or the OS
> source. And they can't track the free compiler by looking at what's > been added; they must reimplement each new feature on their own.
> This is redundant and wasteful.

But the BSD compiler would still need to be implemented by someone,
and that effort would be no less redundant and wasteful. At least
vendors get paid to be redundant and wasteful.

> I'm talking about adding value to the BSD-licensed code -- for
> example, by adding optimization or speeding up compilation.

I suspect that such changes would be either so small that it would be
difficult to sell them, or so large that you might as well have
written your own compiler from scratch.

> That's not obsolete either. Many people ALWAYS WILL prefer to use
> make and the editor of their choice.

Of course. That's why I put "obsolete" in quotes. I doubt that these
days, in the Windows world, there is a viable market for
command-line-only tools. Borland did not sell their compiler minus the
IDE even before they released it for free.